The humble kitchen splashback has come a long way over the years. Gone are the days where its sole purpose was simply to protect the walls from grease, grime, and splashes from cooking and dish-washing. Modern splashbacks have evolved into a versatile yet functional design aesthetic.
Whether you’re looking for a bold and bright splashback that makes a statement, an artistic feature wall that expresses your individual style, or a sophisticated splashback with a contemporary touch, the options are endless.
There are a multitude of material choices available for splashbacks, but if you’re torn between glass vs acrylic splashbacks, this article will compare the pros and cons of each and help you decide which option is best for you.
Here are 5 simple questions that will reveal whether an acrylic or glass splashback will cater to your needs best.
1. Do You Cook a Lot?
While both glass and acrylic are durable materials, glass is inflammable and suited for use at higher temperatures of up to 400°C, especially toughened glass. Acrylic surfaces, by comparison, do not perform well at temperatures above 160°C and might even catch fire.
This makes glass splashbacks the preferred choice for long-term durability, particularly behind cookers and around ovens. If you spend a lot of time cooking and baking, a glass splashback is the clear winner for safety and longevity, as neither heat nor hot oil will tarnish its luxury finish.
2. Which Matters More to You: Quality or Price?
If budget is a concern for you, then an acrylic splashback might be the better choice of the two. Besides its reflective high-gloss finish, acrylic splashbacks are versatile enough to suit any colour or design, and are more affordable compared to glass.
If a luxury finish is more important to you however, then a glass splashback is the clear choice. Not only does it look exquisite, but glass doesn’t scratch easily, unlike acrylic, and lasts a lot longer with a much higher heat tolerance as mentioned previously.
3. Would You Prefer a Low-Maintenance Scratch-Free Option?
Is easy splashback maintenance an important consideration for you? If yes, you’ll be pleased to know that glass splashbacks are as low-maintenance as you can get.
While both glass and acrylic splashbacks are equally easy to clean — all you need to do is wipe it with a wet cloth — glass has an edge over acrylic as it’s incredibly scratch-resistant. So not only is glass easy to clean, but you won’t have to worry about unsightly scratches tainting the crystal clear finish.
4. Installation: Are You DIY-ing It or Hiring Pros?
For DIY installations, acrylic splashbacks are the ideal choice as they’re lightweight and much easier to cut-to-size and handle. In comparison, glass is heavier and more prone to cracking and breaking. Installing glass splashbacks should therefore be left to trained professionals who have the right tools and expertise to design, craft, and fit them.
5. Are You Looking for a Classic Look or a Personalised Design?
Good news: you can have both whether you opt for an acrylic or glass splashback! Despite the popular misconception that acrylic is more versatile than glass for colours and designs, it all depends on which glass splashback provider you speak to.
DecoGlaze™, for example, provides an extensive range of options that includes Coloured Glass Splashbacks, Mirror Finish Glass Splashbacks, and Custom-Designed Glass Splashbacks. Our comprehensive suite of options guarantees that you’ll find the right colour, print, or unique design to suit your preference and needs. Talk to us to find out more!
Glass vs Acrylic Splashback: To Recap
Do you want a splashback that’s:
- Easy to clean and low-maintenance?
- Made of a heat-tolerant and toughened material?
- Available in endless colour, print, and design options?
- Ultra-reflective and gives your space greater depth?
- Versatile for different areas?
- A work of art as well as an accent wall?
If you answered yes to all or most of the above, then a glass splashback is the clear winner for you!
Why Choose DecoGlaze™ Glass Splashbacks?
Established in Sydney since 1998, DecoGlaze™ is Australia’s leading glass splashback provider catering to residential, trade, and commercial customers, including kitchen design and installation companies, carpenters, and joiners.
The DecoGlaze™ Difference
- We’re a trusted and respected Australian-owned company making quality Australian products and the world’s largest manufacturer and installer of glass splashbacks.
- We use state-of-the-art equipment to cut, polish, edge, toughen, and paint each glass product, and employ only trained and insured technicians to measure and install.
- All DecoGlaze™ Glass Splashback panels are toughened to Australian standards (if the size & shape permits) to allow for thermal shock and heat tolerance.
- We provide a free measure and quote.
- Upon confirmation, your splashback will be manufactured and installed within 10 working days.
- We offer a written guarantee of up to 10 years for our DecoGlaze™ Glass Splashbacks. All flat and metallic colours as well as the designer range come with a 10-year warranty, mirror finish glass products include a 7-year written guarantee, while the digitally printed DecoDesigns range is covered by a 5-year written guarantee.
To find out more about our glass splashback products, book a free consult!